Hyaluronic Acid is a hot topic in skincare right now – but how does hyaluronic acid actually benefit the skin?
Hyaluronic Acid is one of the newer wonder ingredients taking the skincare industry by storm. Upon hearing ‘acid’, it comes to no surprise that alarm bells may start ringing to some as ‘acids’ just springs ‘harmful chemical!’ to mind, and that’s something you’d rather not have near your delicate skin. We get that – but not to worry, the star ingredient ‘Hyaluronic Acid’ is quite the opposite. Known as the ‘magnet for moisture’ for its ability to hold up to 1000 times its weight in water (impressive, huh?), hyaluronic acid is naturally occurring in our bodies and aids our skin by replenishing moisture and enhancing the health and appearance of your skin.
So, here are 10 ways Hyaluronic Acid benefits the skin (and why Kathleen has chosen to use active ingredients in their best sellers – Caviar Enrich Eye Cream, Amazing White Illuminating Serum and Glamour Ageless Anti-Aging Serum):
1. Hydration – Hyaluronic Acid is able to hold up to 1000 times its molecular weight in water and so, it penetrates the skin and binds skin cells to water, infusing all layers of the skin with valuable, rejuvenating moisture.
2. Humectant – After infusing the epidermis with valuable moisture, Hyaluronic Acid continues to draw moisture in from the surrounding environment to provide lasting hydration benefits.
3. Lipid barrier enhancement – Hyaluronic Acid fortifies the skin’s natural barriers to lock moisture in for an even more dramatic hydrating effect.
4. Increased resilience – By enhancing the skin’s natural barriers, the skin is better able to defend itself against environmental age-factors and pollutants.
5. Tighter skin tone – As it fills the skin with moisture, Hyaluronic acid tightens the overall complexion and firms facial contours for a more youthful appearance.
6. Smoother texture – Much in the same way it tightens the skin, it also smoothes the texture of the skin for a silky smooth finish you can see and feel.
7. Less visible fine lines and wrinkles – Hyaluronic acid reduces the size and visibility of fine lines and wrinkles by stimulating skin cell production of collagen and elastin, two fibers that contribute to skin elasticity.
8. Stimulates skin cell regeneration – In addition to stimulating skin cell production of collagen, hyaluronic acid promotes skin cell regeneration for healthier cells and a more vibrant complexion.
9. Pigmentation – A description of hyaluronic acid wouldn’t be complete without mentioning ability to reduce and prevent age spots and pigmentation issues.
10. Clarity – By promoting proper moisture balance in the skin, hyaluronic acid prevents the over-production of oil that clogs pores to cause breakouts.
If you found this post interesting, you might also like our other posts:
- It’s the season to be natural and health gifting
- Shea Butter is the skin’s best friend
- Amazing White Illuminating Serum and the Beauty Shortlist Awards.
Hyaluronic acid: A key molecule in skin aging by Eleni Papkonstantinou, Michael Roth and George Karakiulakis: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3583886/ Production methods for Hyaluronan, Carmen Boeriu, Jan Springer, Floor Kooy, Lambertus Broek, Gerrit Eggink: www.hindawi.com/archive/2013/624967/
– Kathleen Natural